Potential Anti Aids Vaccine In Horizon
With an estimated 2.7 million HIV infections constantly cropping up globally every year, revolutionary new approaches have been adopted towards putting a plug on this life threatening menace. Many strategies are being employed to create potent anti aids vaccine which will aid in averting it.
Miniature versions of the HIV virus are taken and modified in laboratories to develop synthetic copies. The process does not involve using the whole or live vaccine. The vaccine being tested will have the ability to effectively produce either cytotoxic T cells or antibodies that will aid in combating the infection.
Types of investigation HIV vaccine strategies:
- Peptide vaccines have been developed from minuscule pieces of proteins taken from the HIV virus.
- A recombinant sub-unit protein vaccine which is under way makes use of bigger parts of proteins that are situated on the surface of the HIV virus. The recombinant vaccine versions gp 120, gp 140 and gp 160 developed by genetic engineering processes effectively boost the immune system and solely elicit stronger immune responses.
- Another promising approach called the live vector vaccine, involves the use of non-HIV viruses that are artificially engineered to carry genes encoding the HIV proteins. These genes are then inserted into yet another vector which carries them into the body cells. The genes produce proteins which are similar to those found on the surface of the HIV virus. This vaccine type bears a resemblance to the HIV virus but is not harmful.
- The DNA vaccine utilizes duplicates of diminutive number of HIV genes that are inserted into pieces of DNA called plasmid. The HIV genes will produce proteins quite similar to those from the real HIV.
- Vaccine combos have been developed which utilize any two vaccines in quick succession to create a stronger immune response. This technique is also called the prime boost strategy.
- The pseudo-virion vaccine which is a virus like particle vaccine is non-infectious and harmless HIV look-alike that has one or more but not all the HIV proteins.
Meanwhile researchers have come up with a daily single dose oral preventative approach with potent antiretrovirals. The medicine will prevent the illness as it will be in the blood stream and will help reduce new infections among people at greater risk of exposure. Tenofovir and combo duo pill of tenofovir plus emtricitabine have been established as safe for reducing the risk of HIV infection.
Popularity: 1% [?]